As an independent marketing consultant and freelance writer / editor, my mission is to successfully design, implement and execute communication strategies and deliverables, helping you grow your organization and meet your project goals.
As a consultant:
- I specialize in serving organizations in high tech, business and the arts.
- I provide marketing consulting, content strategy, editorial, and social media services.
- I work with entrepreneurs, organizations of all sizes and industry sectors, and professional partnerships.
- I hold a Wharton MBA in Marketing and a Wellesley BA in French and Russian.
As a freelance writer, editor, blogger and online publisher:
- I specialize in web content management, content writing, editorial services, social media; I align copy and online activities to your strategic goals.
- I have been published in respected print venues and around the web.
- I am the founder of Daily Plate of Crazy ™ , an online venue featuring discussion on contemporary culture, created in 2009 as a (WordPress) lifestyle blog.
- Since 2010, I have been a Huffington Post blogger, writing primarily in lifestyle verticals.
EXPERIENCE: MARKETING CONSULTANT / WRITER / EDITOR
Select Projects: Consulting, Marketing, Writing, Editing, Content, Copywriting
- Consultant/Content Writer/Editor. (2003 – present)
Self-employed, providing marketing consulting and related communication services to individuals, entrepreneurs, and organizations of all sizes, creating clear and well positioned B2B and B2C content. Projects may include SEO, organic optimized content, product and service descriptions, inbound and outbound content, and working with regulatory and/or sensitive subject matter. Delivering online editing services to various sites and writers, ghostwriting, and concept-to-completion lifestyle and commercial copy to individuals and organizations. Social Media consultant, safeguarding online reputation, facilitating expanded message, and engaging customers and partners (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, blogging).
- Advisory Consultant, Marketing and Communications. (October 2013 – December 2015)
Global business services company; OKS Group (Philadelphia, PA). Advised and executed on marketing, communications, and social media strategy with emphasis on branding, positioning, inbound marketing, web content. Successfully redesigned and maintained corporate website, re-purposing and writing new content; designed and created web and print advertising; served as quality assurance for RFPs / RFIs and all client-facing materials; created branded sales collateral across multiple business units; established internal procedures and standards including branding guidelines.
- Marketing Communications Director. (June 2012 – February 2013)
Nonprofit (early childhood education), temporary position; Child Development Association (Roswell, GA). Communications strategy and execution aligned with strategic plan. Ongoing communications with emphasis on establishing new social media environment across platforms for awareness, advocacy, and fundraising. Collateral, web content, and blogging; coordinated with board, staff, donors, third party providers, teachers, administrators and community volunteers.
- Consultant/Technical Writer. (October 2010 – April 2011)
Member of technical writing team for mid-sized software company; user guides for multinational audience and occasional customer facing marketing copy.
- Content Writer/Blogger. (2009 – Present)
Lifestyle blogger to targeted audiences (Daily Plate of Crazy, Purple Clover, The Good Men Project, Divorced Moms). Since 2010, Huffington Post blogger.
- Senior Web Copywriter. (March 2008 – October 2008)
Content writing and copywriting, temporary position; GMAC Insurance (Atlanta, GA). Responsible for new content creation and rewrite of e-commerce site across six lines of insurance business. Project involved subject matter research and data analysis, restructure of website, copywriting, editing, SEO, and testing of related applications. Coordinated with Business Unit Managers, technical team, graphic designer. Copywriting included taglines, landing pages, email campaigns.
- Researcher/Writer. (2006 – 2008)
Researched and wrote consumer/informational How-To Guides (various topics), and online art reviews for entrepreneurial gallery owner.
- Consultant/Business Writer. (2005 – 2006)
HR Software start-up, specializing in FMLA / ADA solution; DecisionMaker Software (Atlanta, GA). Worked with labor attorney on translation of regulatory research into user-friendly terminology and software application. Responsible for web content, partner web content, software tutorial, software testing, GUI redesign, editing & proofing of 700+ screens and forms, editing media communications and other business documents.
- Consultant/Writer. (2003 – 2004)
Projects included global marketing services company (branding and communications), HR systems consulting firm (marketing collateral, web content), broadcast/media company (market research and focus group summaries), attorney (business writing, mediation interpreter French-English).
Select Projects: Art Journalism, Art Marketing, Consulting, Training
- In-depth Catalog Essay, Nationally Known Artist. (2011) Research, interviewing, essay creation.
- Book Proposal for Emerging Artist. (2010) Research, interviewing, editing, essays.
- Art Reviewer, Atlanta Journal Constitution. (April 2007 – September 2008). Weekly reviews and articles, print and online.
- Publications. Raw Vision (2009), ARTnews (2008, 2007), Art Calendar Magazine (2007, 2006), France Magazine (2007).
- Freelance Art Journalist. (2004 – present) Critical essays for catalogs (museums, galleries, other). Artist biographies, statements, web content, press kit materials. Reviews and articles, print and online magazines; ghostwriting.
- Art Marketing Consultant. (2004 – present) Customized services including communications strategy, promotional and exhibition strategy (curatorial and other); design and delivery of custom workshops to emerging artists (marketing basics, communication skills).
AUTOMATIC DATA PROCESSING, INC. (ADP), Atlanta, GA 1998 – 2002
Product Manager, ADP Enterprise Human Resource Management System (formerly CSS HRizon)
Responsible for product planning, functional and regulatory requirements definition, and consistent message for ADP’s National Accounts enterprise solution, supporting outsourced HR, Payroll, and Benefits Administration.
• Worked collaboratively on multiple releases – product planning, definition and prioritization of requirements / features.
• Wrote 25+ new pieces of marketing collateral and customized sales support – conceptual, functional, and technical.
• Reviewed and revised sales proposals (RFPs) for accuracy and consistency.
IBM / CGI (COMPAGNIE GENERALE INFORMATIQUE), Atlanta, GA; Paris, France 1995 – 1997
Product Manager, HR Access Business Unit
Key member of two-person start-up for North American launch of global Human Resources system (HR Access), result of IBM acquisition of CGI (France). Responsible for product vision, content, communication; English and French.
• Wrote functional / design specifications in over 15 areas of Human Resources / Payroll.
• Coordinated communication and development between US and French teams (Management and Design).
• Created and delivered sales and product training; briefed industry analysts.
DUN AND BRADSTREET SOFTWARE (formerly MSA), Atlanta, GA 1989 – 1995
Advisory Business Analyst, SmartStream Human Resources System
Internal consultant responsible for gathering and documenting international and domestic business requirements for multinational Human Resources / Payroll / Benefits system, including country-specific regulatory compliance. Collaborated with third party consultants in US and Paris. Wrote specifications, white papers, RFPs, and training.
EDUCATION / COMMUNITY
The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
• MBA, Marketing. Secondary concentration, Business Law.
• Staff Writer, Wharton Journal.
Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA
• BA, French and Russian Language.
• Wellesley Scholar (Honors).
• Scholarship to study International Public Law (Institut d’Etudes Politiques, Paris), Junior Year.
Community / Other
• Volunteer, Atlanta Public Schools (High School); Organized art fundraiser, 2007.
• Volunteer, Atlanta Public Schools (Elementary); projects in art, design, planning, 1998 – 2003.
• Summer Intern (Marketing), Magazine Publishers Association, Times Mirror Magazines (NYC).
• Summer Temporary, Bilingual Editor (English / French), U.N.E.S.C.O. (Paris).
For additional details, view my LinkedIn profile as Debra Wolf.