I am an independent marketing consultant and freelance writer with 20+ years experience in corporate, client, marketing, sales, and technical communications for print and web, specializing in high tech, business, and the arts. I have worked with entrepreneurs, organizations of all sizes and industry sectors, and professional partnerships. I am comfortable as an individual contributor or collaborative team member, with a “roll up the sleeves and do it” approach to project completion. I hold an MBA in Marketing from the Wharton School, and a BA in French and Russian from Wellesley College.
As a freelance writer, editor, and blogger, I specialize in web content management, editorial services, and social media, committed to aligning copy and online activities to strategic goals. I am the founder of Daily Plate of Crazy, created originally in 2009 as a (WordPress) lifestyle blog, currently transitioning to an online magazine. With nearly 1,500 articles in the archives to date, Daily Plate of Crazy features lively discussion on women, relationships, parenting, healthy living, social issues, and more. The site enjoys a growing readership in the U.S. and elsewhere, and is currently adding contributors.
I am also a Huffington Post blogger, writing primarily on marriage and divorce, single and solo parenting, dating as a single parent, and related topics.
EXPERIENCE: FREELANCE WRITER / EDITOR / CONSULTANT 2003 – present
Selected Projects: Writing, Editing, Consulting, Marketing, SEO Content, Copywriting
- Consultant/Web Writer/Editor. (2003 – present) Consulting to individuals, entrepreneurs, and organizations, creating clear and well positioned content with organic SEO. Online editor to various sites and writers. Social Media consultant, safeguarding online reputation, facilitating expanded message, and engaging customers and partners (Twitter, Facebook, blogging).
- Marketing Communications Director. (June 2012 – February 2013) Nonprofit; Temporary consulting position. Communications strategy and execution aligned with strategic plan. Ongoing communications with emphasis on establishing new social media environment across platforms for awareness, advocacy, and fundraising. Collateral, web content, and blogging; coordinated with board, staff, donors, third party providers, and community volunteers.
- Consultant/Technical Writer. (October 2010 – April 2011) Member of technical writing team for mid-sized software company; user guides for multinational audience and occasional customer facing marketing copy.
- Content Writer/Blogger. Since 2009, daily lifestyle blogger to targeted audiences. Since 2010, Huffington Post blogger. Provide ghostwriting or concept-to-completion lifestyle and commercial copy to individuals and organizations.
- Senior Web Copywriter (Insurance). (March 2008 – October 2008) Responsible for new content creation and rewrite of e-commerce site across six lines of insurance business. Project involved subject matter research and data analysis, restructure of web site, copywriting, editing, SEO, and testing of related applications. Coordinated with Business Unit Managers and technical team. Also wrote taglines, landing pages, email campaign copy.
- Researcher/Writer. (2006 – 2008) Researched and wrote consumer/informational How-To Guides (various topics), and online art reviews for entrepreneurial gallery owner.
- Consultant/Business Writer. (2005 – 2006) HR Software start-up, specializing in FMLA / ADA solution. Worked with labor attorney on translation of regulatory research into user-friendly terminology and application. Responsible for web content, partner web content, software tutorial, software testing, GUI redesign, editing & proofing of 700+ screens and forms, editing media communications and other business documents.
- Consultant/Writer. (2003 – 2004) Projects included global marketing services company (branding and communications), HR systems consulting firm (marketing collateral, web content), broadcast/media company (market research and focus group summaries), attorney (business writing, mediation interpreter French-English).
Selected Projects: Art Journalism, Art Marketing, Consulting, Training
- In-depth Catalog Essay, Nationally Known Artist. (2011) Research, interviewing, essay creation.
- Book Proposal for Emerging Artist. (2010) Research, interviewing, editing, essays.
- Art Reviewer, Atlanta Journal Constitution. (April 2007 – September 2008). Weekly reviews and articles, print and online.
- Publications. Raw Vision (2009), ARTnews (2008, 2007), Art Calendar Magazine (2007, 2006), France Magazine (2007).
- Freelance Art Journalist. (2004 – present) Critical essays for catalogs (museums, galleries, other). Artist biographies, statements, web content, press kit materials. Reviews and articles, print and online magazines; ghostwriting.
- Art Marketing Consultant. (2004 – present) Customized services including communications strategy, promotional and exhibition strategy (curatorial and other); design and delivery of custom workshops to emerging artists (marketing basics, communication skills).
AUTOMATIC DATA PROCESSING, INC. (ADP), Atlanta, GA 1998 – 2002
Product Manager, ADP Enterprise Human Resource Management System (formerly CSS HRizon)
Responsible for product planning, functional and regulatory requirements definition, and consistent message for ADP’s
National Accounts enterprise solution, supporting outsourced HR, Payroll, and Benefits Administration.
• Worked collaboratively on multiple releases – product planning, definition and prioritization of requirements / features.
• Wrote 25+ new pieces of marketing collateral and customized sales support – conceptual, functional, and technical.
• Reviewed and revised sales proposals (RFPs) for accuracy and consistency.
IBM / CGI (COMPAGNIE GENERALE INFORMATIQUE), Atlanta, GA; Paris, France 1995 – 1997
Product Manager, HR Access Business Unit
Key member of two-person start-up for North American launch of global Human Resources system (HR Access), result of IBM acquisition of CGI (France). Responsible for product vision, content, communication; English and French.
• Wrote functional / design specifications in over 15 areas of Human Resources / Payroll.
• Coordinated communication and development between US and French teams (Management and Design).
• Created and delivered sales and product training; briefed industry analysts.
DUN AND BRADSTREET SOFTWARE (formerly MSA), Atlanta, GA 1989 – 1995
Advisory Business Analyst, SmartStream Human Resources System
Internal consultant responsible for gathering and documenting international and domestic business requirements for multinational Human Resources / Payroll / Benefits system, including country-specific regulatory compliance. Collaborated with third party consultants in US and Paris. Wrote specifications, white papers, RFPs, and training.
Additional corporate experience available upon request.
EDUCATION / COMMUNITY
The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
• MBA, Marketing. Secondary concentration, Business Law.
• Staff Writer, Wharton Journal.
Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA
• BA, French and Russian Language.
• Wellesley Scholar (Honors).
• Scholarship to study International Public Law (Institut d’Etudes Politiques, Paris), Junior Year.
Community / Other
• Volunteer, Atlanta Public Schools (High School); Organized art fundraiser, 2007.
• Volunteer, Atlanta Public Schools (Elementary); projects in art, design, planning, 1998 – 2003.
• Summer Intern (Marketing), Magazine Publishers Association, Times Mirror Magazines (NYC).
• Summer Temporary, Bilingual Editor (English / French), U.N.E.S.C.O. (Paris).
Additional details available on my LinkedIn Profile.